Myrrh essential oil is derived from the gummy resin of the small, thorny Myrrh tree and has been used for centuries for its internal and external health benefits. Myrrh has been used throughout history as a perfume, incense, and health aid. It was also employed in embalming and religious ceremonies. Myrrh has powerful cleansing properties, especially for the mouth and throat. It is also soothing to the skin—promoting a smooth, youthful-looking complexion—and promotes emotional balance and well-being.
Myrrh: The Oil of Mother Earth
When the mother-child bond has been disrupted, the soul may lose its childlike ability to trust. Feelings of trust are replaced with feelings of fear and a belief that the world is unsafe. Myrrh helps one to let go of fear. Through reestablishing a healthy connection to the earth and to one’s own mother, Myrrh rekindles trust, confidence in the goodness of life returns and the soul feels safer and more at home.
*From the book Emotions & Essential Oils
• Diffusing Myrrh can improve symptoms of bronchitis, colds or coughs.
• Add a drop to an unscented lotion or a carrier oil and use daily on your skin for anti-aging, skin rejuvenation, or healing wounds.
• Rub a drop of Myrrh with a carrier oil on your tummy to relieve upset, diarrhea, and indigestion.
• Helps hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism is a low functioning thyroid. Since Myrrh reduces stress it can also help decrease stress on an overtaxed thyroid. Put 2-3 drops directly on to the thyroid area daily.
• Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice, to help promote awareness and lift your mood
* Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
Blends well with: Frankincense, Lavender, Sandalwood, and spicy oils.
Odor: hot, earthy, woody, and balsamic.